All you need to know about JKPSC preparation – The Complete Guide
JKPSC Exam preparation requires hard work and the correct guidance which will be provided by online or offline JKPSC coaching classes. Let us tell you everything about the JKPSC exam preparation.
Table of Contents
- About JKPSC Examination
- Role of Coaching in JKPSC Preparation
- Reasons to join Online Coaching for JKPSC - Online JKPSC Course
- Why one should join Chahal Academy for JKPSC ?
- Stages of Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission Examination
• Preliminary Examination
• Mains Examination
- Eligibility Criteria – Important for JKPSC preparation
• Educational Qualification
• Age Limit
- Cut-off Marks
- How to prepare for Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission
• For Prelims
• For Mains
• For Interview
- Booklist for JKPSC preparation
About JKPSC Examination
Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission (JKPSC) is a recruitment body for the vacancies in State Services in the state of Jammu and Kashmir through the most prestigious exam of the state, the JKPSC examination. JKPSC releases notification and invites applications to this examination every year for recruitment into various posts in departments/ministries under the government of Jammu and Kashmir. So, eligible candidates can apply for this examination online after the release of notification. The purpose of this article is to give complete information about the JKPSC examination and guidance for JKPSC exam preparation. You can prepare for the JKPSC exam either through offline or JKPSC online coaching classes.
Role of Coaching in JKPSC Preparation
Coaching plays an important role in the preparation for State Public Service Exams. Coaching classes act as catalysts in the preparation process and increase the chances of success. In addition to increasing chances, coaching can reduce the workload of the candidate by guiding the student to study what is exactly needed. Coaching also provides an overview of the examination pattern and changing dynamics of the exam. However, it is to be noted that JKPSC coaching is not a guarantee of your success. It will provide an environment for overall development which is essential for success in any exam. If one follows the guidelines of coaching classes with full dedication and discipline, there is no way that a student will not be able to finish the syllabus and perform well in the exam.
Reasons to join Online Coaching for JKPSC – Online JKPSC course
- Your time, Your Place: While offline JKPSC coaching has a fixed schedule, online coaching is flexible. Aspirants can save time from traveling between home, college, and other places.
- Rescheduling: One of the biggest advantages of online JKPSC coaching is that no lecture or topic will be missed as you can watch it anytime and anywhere on your laptop or mobile. Online coaching is the only and best way to prepare for JKPSC, especially for those who are working or are housewives as they can watch online classes any time when free.
- Inexpensive Fees: Usually, the cost of coaching for JKPSC exam preparation is approximately between Rs.50,000/- to Rs.75,000/- whereas online coaching costs very less.
Why one should join Chahal Academy for JKPSC
Chahal Academy is like the panacea to all your queries in the field of Civil services. Along with a quality faculty team, we also ensure that high-quality study material is provided and students do not have to hustle for collecting the same. Candidates can rely on Chahal Academy for their JKPSC exam preparation as this academy provides facilities for the overall development of candidates through a learning environment.
Chahal Academy is providing a Specialized and Best JKPSC Online Course which includes –
- 400+ hours of JKPSC Complete Foundation Course lecture series. This course includes detailed Topic-wise Coverage of the JKPSC Syllabus. This course is taught by the most reliable, and senior faculty and subject matter experts supported by a dynamic and up-to-date content team. You also get personal attention from the mentors in case of difficulty.
- 24 x 7 availability of best quality JKPSC video lectures- watch from the comfort of any of your devices. It includes specialized & Digitized Classes focused on building concept-based teaching to strengthen the base of Students. Technological support and Feedback is provided by Subject Matter Experts.
- You can choose to learn according to your time and place.
- This course is available at Super Affordable fee structure.
- Regular tests are conducted to improve accuracy and time management.
- Complete study material is available in soft copy which covers static as well as updated daily & monthly Current Affairs.
Stages of Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission Examination
Jammu and Kashmir Public Service Commission conducts the examination in three stages –
- JKPSC Prelims
- JKPSC Mains Exam
- In prelims, there are two papers - General Studies I and II. The preliminary examination of JKPSC comprises objective type or multiple-choice questions. This exam is meant for the screening of candidates. These marks will only be counted to be considered for eligibility into the next stage i.e. Mains. These marks will not be included in the final scores. Only marks of the mains examination and interview will be counted in preparing the cutoff of the Jammu and Kashmir Public service Commission Examination.
- Also, candidates should note that the paper of prelims is for two hours and there is no negative marking for wrong answers. Also, the question paper is set in English.
Total Marks of Prelims Examination = 400 marks
Syllabus of preliminary examination
Paper 1 - General Science
- In general science, questions are generally asked from; Physics, Chemistry, Biology up to 10th standard.
Current Affairs of National/International importance:
- The dynamic portion of the syllabus is to be covered through Current Affairs.
- For current affairs, candidates must prepare for at least 12 months. In recent times, old current affairs have also being asked by the JKPSC. Also, make sure to read about the facts and data related to the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
History of India and J&K:
- General understanding of the subject with broad aspects of the history of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Read the history of India and J&K and compare how things have changed in the present. You have to read with a critical bend of mind. Try to connect how the past has shaped the state of Jammu and Kashmir today.
Geography of India and J&K: General geography and geographical division of J &K and its major river systems:
- Read about the physical, social, and economic geography of the country. Also, read about the main features of the Indian agricultural system and natural resources.
- Read particular industries and their location. Subsequently, practice mapping work to point out important sites.
- Questions will test your knowledge of the country’s political system. You should read about Panchayati Raj, community development, and planning in India and Jammu and Kashmir, etc.
Indian Movements and Contribution of J&K in it:
- Read about the nature and character of the nineteenth-century resurgence, growth of nationalism, and attainment of Independence with special reference to Jammu and Kashmir
Paper 2 - Questions based on General Mental Ability
- The second stage of the JKPSC examination i.e. the Mains exam consists of 8 papers. Out of these, only 7 are counted for merit and the one of the papers is qualifying in nature.
- This exam is of subjective or descriptive type.
- The duration of each of the papers is 3 hours each.
- Also, the question papers are set in English except for language papers.
Total Marks of Mains Examination = 1750 marks
|Paper- 1 Essay (English)
||Counted for merit
|Paper- 2 (GS-I)
||Counted for merit
|Paper- 3 (GS-II)
||Counted for merit
|Paper- 4 (GS-III)
||Counted for merit
|Paper- 5 (GS-IV)
||Counted for merit
|Paper- 6 (Optional 1)
||Counted for merit
|Paper- 7 (Optional 2)
||Counted for merit
Syllabus of Mains Examination
This paper would include the following and these will be of Class 10 standard:
- Reading comprehension
- Precis Writing.
- Usage and Vocabulary.
- Short essays.
Candidates will be asked to write an essay on selected topics. Candidates will be able to secure high for effective and exact expression as stated by the commission.
General Studies I
Indian Heritage and Culture, History, and Geography of the World and Society
General Studies II
Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice, and International relations.
General Studies III
Technology, Economic Development, Biodiversity, Environment, Security, and Disaster Management.
General Studies IV
Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude
General Studies V and VI
Candidates may choose any one of the optional subjects
from the following list of subjects:
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical science
- Political Science & International Relations
- Public Administration
- Literature of any one of the following languages:
Arabic, Dogri, English, Hindi, Kashmiri, Persian, Punjabi, Sanskrit, and Urdu.
For a detailed breakup of the JKPSC Mains syllabus, visit this page on the official website
of Jammu and Kashmir State Services.
- The interview is of 200 marks. Basically, it is a viva type Q & A type series where questions pertaining to current affairs and educational background are being asked from candidates.
- The Viva-voce tests the personality of the candidates. You will be asked about general events in and around the world. The interview panel tests your presence of mind and alertness. You do not have to be very intelligent or very smart. You must have an idea of your surrounding and a sensible approach to it. Your overall health and fitness will also be considered. Further, you will also have to go through medical tests. You can choose to either speak in English or Hindi.
Eligibility Criteria – Important for JKPSC preparation
You have to fulfill certain criteria to be able to sit in the JKPSC examination. We will lay down the important criteria required for appearing in the JKPSC exam.
The candidate should be a permanent resident of the State of J&K.
- Candidates must have a degree from any recognized university. This should be equivalent to the degree of Bachelor of Science, Arts, Commerce, or any technical subject from a recognized university.
- Candidates in the last year of graduation can also sit in the exam.
- The candidate should not be less than 21 years and not more than 32 years on 1st January of the year of the examination.
- For SC/ST candidates, the upper age limit is 34 years.
- SC/ST both male and female, it is 40 years
- For physically handicapped students, the upper age limit is 35 years irrespective of their category.
How to Prepare for Jammu and Kashmir Public Service commission
- You have to focus on the basics for the JKPSC Prelims. So, read the syllabus thoroughly. Then, go through the Previous Year Question papers and understand what the exam demands. The syllabus and Questions papers will help you to decide what to study and what to omit.
- Newspaper - Read the newspaper daily. Follow what the Centre, as well as the state, is doing for the people. You also have to pay attention to facts and famous personalities from Jammu and Kashmir.
- NCERTs - These are government authorized books and form the basis of your exam preparation. You have to read these books properly to understand advanced level books. If you have read these books before, a speed reading will also do. Do not skip these under any circumstances.
- Read fewer books - Prepare a proper booklist for your preparation. Do not read every book that is available for a particular subject. Pick the best ones and revise those books again and again. Although you can supplement those reading. Follow the principle of Read minimum and Revise Maximum!
- Notes - Keep your notes very short and precise. As you finish one chapter or topic, prepare notes. It will take you a long way till the final day of your exams.
- Revision is the key - The inevitable step is revision. Revise as much as you can. And practice answer writing from the first day itself. You will be way ahead in the competition.
- Mock tests - Appear for multiple mock tests to polish your knowledge. Regular mock tests will train your brain to get prepared for the final day. The Prelims stage is the first most important stage because it will help you move into the Mains stage. So, keep practicing by appearing for mock tests. Further, mock tests will train your brain to acquire the technique of answering by elimination method as well.
- Newspaper - Again, read the newspaper daily. Read about government policies, and also international affairs. You have to pay attention to facts about your state as well.
- NCERTs - Read these books to form a strong background of the subjects.
- Government Websites - Supplement your studies with material from government websites like Policy Research Studies, Yojana, UPSC, etc. The material on these websites is 100% correct.
- Keep a precise booklist - Prepare a proper booklist for your preparation. Do not read every book that is available for a particular subject. Pick the best ones and revise those books again and again. Although you can supplement those reading. Follow the principle of Read minimum and Revise Maximum!
- Notes - Prepare comprehensive notes. It means that you must prepare Prelims and Mains notes together. This will help you to prepare for both the stages from an early stage.
- Revision is the key - The inevitable step is revision. Revise as much as you can. You will be way ahead in the competition.
- Mock tests - Practice lots of answer writing. You will be able to develop speed and answer writing skills.
- For the personality test/interview, you have to sit for mock interviews. This will help you to experience Q and A round with an interviewer panel which will prepare your body and mind for the final day. So, enhance your personality through Mock Interviews. Furthermore, go through your application form A to Z and keep yourself updated with the latest current issues so that you are able to talk about it.
Booklist for JKPSC preparation
- History: Spectrum for Modern India and NCERT books for Ancient and Medieval India.
- Geography: NCERT books of class XI and XII along with the G.C Leong book. While studying Geography, you should always have Orient Blakswan Atlas to mark the place, mountains, and rivers on the Atlas.
- Indian Economy: Read Chahal Academy Economy booklet. Further, a large number of economy questions come from Current affairs also.
- General Science: NCERT books from 6th to 12th books, you can also read Tata McGraw Hill book.
- Environment: Chahal Academy Environment booklet or IGNOU material is more than enough.
- Polity: Go for M. Laxmikant. There is no substitute for this book.
- Jammu and Kashmir Special: You can pick any book for J&K special preparation book available in the state.
At last, you must have faith in yourself and prepare for this battle by working hard and smart by making a good strategy. This examination is not about how hard you have worked, rather it is about how smart you have worked. We wish you Good luck!! You can visit the official website of JKPSC for further details.
For more information
| JKPSC Eligibility Criteria
| JKPSC Exam Pattern
| JKPSC Syllabus
| JKPSC Interview
| JKPSC Cut Off Marks
| JKPSC Results
| JKPSC Booklist
| JKPSC Test Series
| JKPSC Question Papers
| JKPSC Notification
| JKPSC Admit Card
| JKPSC Topper Strategy
| JKPSC Answer Key
| JKPSC Officer Salary