All you need to know about HPPSC preparation – The Complete Guide
HPPSC exam preparation requires hard work and the correct guidance which will be provided by online or offline HPPSC coaching classes. Let us tell you everything about the HPPSC exam preparation.
Table of Contents
- About HPPSC Examination
- Role of Coaching in HPPSC Preparation
- Reasons to join Online Coaching for HPPSC - Online HPPSC Course
- Why one should join Chahal Academy for HPPSC ?
- Stages of Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission Examination Examination
• Preliminary Examination
• Mains Examination
- Eligibility Criteria
• Educational Qualification
• Age Limit
- Cut-off Marks
- How to prepare for Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission
• For Prelims
• For Mains
• For Interview
- Booklist for HPPSC preparation
About HPPSC Examination
Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission (HPPSC) is a recruitment body for the vacancies in State Services in the state of Himachal Pradesh through the most prestigious exam of the state, the HPPSC examination. HPPSC releases notification and invites applications to this examination every year for recruitment into various posts in departments/ministries under the government of Himachal Pradesh. So, eligible candidates can apply for this examination online after the release of notification. The purpose of this article is to give complete information about the HPPSC examination and guidance for HPPSC exam preparation. You can prepare for the HPPSC exam either through offline or HPPSC online coaching classes.
Role of Coaching in HPPSC Preparation
Coaching plays an important role in the preparation for State Public Service Exams. Furthermore, coaching acts as a catalyst in the preparation process and increases the chances of success. It solely depends on the candidate whether to choose it or not. In addition to increasing chances, coaching can reduce the workload of the candidate by guiding the student to study what is exactly needed. Coaching also provides an overview of the examination pattern and changing dynamics of the exam. However, it is to be noted that HPPSC coaching is not a guarantee of your success. It will provide an environment for overall development which is essential for success in any exam.
Reasons to join Online Coaching for HPPSC – Online HPPSC course
- Your time, Your Place: While offline HPPSC coaching has a fixed schedule, online coaching is flexible. Aspirants can save time from traveling between home, college, and other places.
- Rescheduling: One of the biggest advantages of online HPPSC coaching is that no lecture or topic will be missed as you can watch it anytime and anywhere on your laptop or mobile. Online coaching is the only and best way to prepare for HPPSC, especially for those who are working or are housewives as they can watch online classes any time when free.
- Super Affordable Fees: Usually, the cost of coaching for HPPSC exam preparation is approximately between Rs.50,000/- to Rs.75,000/- whereas online coaching costs very less.
Why one should join Chahal Academy for HPPSC
Chahal Academy is like the panacea to all your queries in the field of Civil services. Along with a quality faculty team, we also ensure that high-quality study material is provided and students do not have to hustle for collecting the same. Candidates can rely on Chahal Academy for their HPPSC exam preparation as this academy provides facilities for the overall development of candidates through a learning environment.
Chahal Academy is providing a Specialized Online Course for HPPSC which includes –
- 400+ hours of HPPSC Complete Foundation Course lecture series. This course includes detailed Topic-wise Coverage of the HPPSC Syllabus. This course is taught by the most reliable, and senior faculty and subject matter experts supported by a dynamic and up-to-date content team. You also get personal attention from the mentors in case of difficulty.
- 24 x 7 availability of best quality HPPSC video lectures- watches from the comfort of any of your devices. It includes specialized & Digitized Classes focused on building a conceptual knowledge base of Students. Technological support and Feedback is provided by Subject Matter Experts.
- You can choose to learn according to your time and place.
- This course is available at Super Affordable fee structure.
- Regular tests are conducted to improve accuracy and time management.
- Complete study material is available in soft copy which covers static as well as updated daily & monthly Current Affairs.
Stages of Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission Examination
Himachal Pradesh Public Service Commission conducts the examination in three stages – Prelims, Mains, and Interview.
- It comprises of two papers of 200 marks of two hours of each. It is important to remember that, marks of both paper of Preliminary examination will be counted in preparing merit list of Preliminary examination only and these marks will not be counted in final selection of candididate.Hence, only marks of mains examination and interview will be counted in preparing cutoff of Himachal Pradesh Public service Commission Examination.
- Candidates should note that there is negative marking for each answer, 1/3rd of marks (0.66) will be deducted for each wrong answer.
Paper I: General studies.
Paper II: Aptitude Test.
||Duration of Exam
||100 (2 mark/question)
||Aptitude Test Exam
||100 (2 mark/question)
Syllabus of Preliminary Examination:
HPPSC Himachal Pradesh Exam Paper I: General Studies
- Indian Polity and Governance and General Science
- Current Affairs of National and International Importance
- Art & Culture
- Socio-Economic Development of Himachal Pradesh
- Environmental Issues relating to Bio Diversity and Climate Change
In mains examination, you will have total of eight papers:
- Paper I: English Paper( 100 marks, 2 hours)
- Paper II: Hindi Paper( 100 marks, 2 hours)
- Paper III: Essay Paper ( 100 marks, 2 hours)
- Paper IV: General Study I ( 200 marks, 2 hours)
- Paper V: General Study II ( 200 marks, 2 hours)
- Paper VI: General Study III ( 200 marks, 2 hours)
- Paper VII: Optional Paper I ( 100 marks, 2 hours)
- Paper VIII: Optional Paper II ( 100 marks, 2 hours)
Total Marks of Mains Examination - 1100 marks.
||General Study I
||General Study II
||General Study III
- The interview is of 150 marks. Basically, it is a viva type Q & A type series where questions pertaining to current affairs and educational background are being asked from candidates.
- The Viva-voce will be to test the personality of the candidates. This test will be in matters of general interest and is intended to test the candidate’s alertness. For instance, Intelligence and general outlook will be tested. For PPSC exam preparation, consideration will also be paid to the bearing and physique of the candidate. It will be conducted either in Hindi or in English depending upon the option selected by the candidate.
Eligibility Criteria – Important for HPPSC preparation
There are certain requirements to appear for the State Services Examination. We will lay down the important criteria required for appearing in the HPPSC exam.
- In order to sit in the Bihar Public Service Commission, candidates must have a degree from any recognized university equivalent to the degree of Bachelor of Science, Arts, Commerce, or of any technical subject.
- Aspiring candidates in the last year of their graduation can also sit in this examination.
- The candidates should not be less than 21 years and not more than 35 years (on 1st January of the year of examination.
- The lower age limit for the HPPSC is 21 years and the upper age limit is 37 years of age for the general category of students. The SC, ST and OBC candidates can claim age relaxation of 5 years over and above the upper age limit.
How to Prepare for Himachal Pradesh Public Service commission
For Paper I:
- You have to focus on the basics for the HPPSC Prelims. So, read the syllabus thoroughly. Then, go through the Previous Year Question papers and understand what the exam demands. The syllabus and Questions papers will help you to decide what to study and what to omit.
- Newspaper - Read the newspaper daily. Follow what the Centre, as well as the state, is doing for the people. You also have to pay attention to facts and famous personalities from Himachal Pradesh.
- NCERTs - These are government authorized books and form the basis of your exam preparation. you have to read these books properly to understand advanced level books. If you have read these books before, a speed reading will also do. Do not skip these under any circumstances
- Read fewer books - Prepare a proper booklist for your preparation. do not read every book that is available for a particular subject. Pick the best ones and revise those books again and again. Although you can supplement those reading. Follow the principle of Read minimum and Revise Maximum!
- Notes - Keep your notes very short and precise. As you finish one chapter or topic, prepare notes. It will take you a long way till the final day of your exams.
- Revision is the key - The inevitable step is revision. Revise as much as you can. And practice answer writing from the first day itself. You will be way ahead in the competition.
- Mock tests - Appear for multiple mock tests to polish your knowledge. Regular mock tests will train your brain to get prepared for the final day. The Prelims stage is the first most important stage because it will help you move into the Mains stage. So, keep practicing by appearing for mock tests. Further, mock tests will train your brain to acquire the technique of answering by elimination method as well.
- To guide and help you plan a strategy, subject-wise distribution of marks from past years has been listed below:
For Paper II:
||Expected number of questions as Per the current trends
|Ancient History + Medieval History + Culture + Modern History ||10-20
|Indian Polity + International Relations
|Economic & Social Development
|Science + Tech
|Environment + Biodiversity
|Himachal Pradesh General Knowledge
|Current Events [National + International]
|Misc (Awards, Organizations, etc.)
||Expected number of questions as Per the current trends
|Behavioral Psychology + Interpersonal Skills + Decision Making & Problem Solving
|English (Comprehension, blanks)
- Newspaper - Again, read the newspaper daily. Read about government policies, and also international affairs. You have to pay attention to facts about your state as well.
- NCERTs - Read these books to form a strong background of the subjects.
- Government Websites - Supplement your studies with material from government websites like Policy Research Studies, Yojana , UPSC , etc. The material on these websites is 100% correct.
- Keep your shorter booklist - Prepare a proper booklist for your preparation. do not read every book that is available for a particular subject. Pick the best ones and revise those books again and again. Although you can supplement those reading. Follow the principle of Read minimum and Revise Maximum!
- Notes - Prepare comprehensive notes. It means that you must prepare Prelims and Mains notes together. This will help you to prepare for both the stages from an early stage.
- Mock tests - Practice lots of answer writing. You will be able to develop speed and answer writing skills.
- Revision is the key - The inevitable step is revision. Revise as much as you can. You will be way ahead in the competition.
- For personality test/interview, you have to sit for mock interviews. This will help you to experience Q and A round with an interviewer panel which will prepare your body and mind for the final day. So, enhance your personality through Mock Interviews. Furthermore, go through your application form from tip to toe and keep yourself updated with the latest current issues so that you are able to talk about it.
Booklist for HPPSC preparation
- History: Spectrum for Modern India and NCERT books for Ancient and Medieval India.
- Geography: NCERT books of class XI and XII along with the G.C Leong book. While studying Geography, you should always have Orient Blakswan Atlas to mark the place, mountains, and rivers on the Atlas.
- Indian Economy: Read Chahal Academy Economy booklet. Further, a large number of economy questions come from Current affairs also.
- General Science: NCERT books from 6th to 12th books, you can also read Tata McGraw Hill book.
- Environment: Chahal Academy Environment booklet or IGNOU material is more than enough.
- Polity: Go for M. Laxmikant. There is no substitute for this book.
- Himachal Pradesh Special: You can pick any book for Himachal Pradesh special preparation book. For example, Upkar publication book for Himachal Pradesh special, yearbook of PD, Ghatna Chakra yearly compilation for state special.
At last, you must have faith in yourself and prepare for this battle by giving everything by making a good strategy. This examination is not about how hard you have worked, rather it is about how smart you have worked. We wish you Good luck!! You can visit the official website of HPPSC for further details.
For more information
| HPPSC Eligibility Criteria
| HPPSC Exam Pattern
| HPPSC Syllabus
| HPPSC Interview
| HPPSC Cut Off Marks
| HPPSC Results
| HPPSC Booklist
| HPPSC Test Series
| HPPSC Question Papers
| HPPSC Notification
| HPPSC Admit Card
| HPPSC Topper Strategy
| HPPSC Answer Key
| HPPSC Officer Salary