Everything You Need to Know About GPSC Preparation
GPSC stands for Goa Public Service Commission. This exam recruits officers to the state government of Goa. Moreover, this service provides opportunities for candidates to serve society and the country. GPSC exam preparation requires hard work and the correct guidance will be provided by online or offline GPSC coaching classes. Let us tell you everything about the GPSC exam preparation.
Table of Contents
- About GPSC Examination
- Role of Coaching in GPSC Preparation
- Reasons to join Online Coaching for GPSC
- Why one should join Chahal Academy for GPSC preparation?
- Stages of Goa Public Service Commission Examination
- Services provided through the GPSC exam
- Eligibility Criteria - Important for GPSC Preparation
• Age Limit
• Age Relaxation
• Educational Qualification
- How to prepare for Goa Public Service Commission ?
• Prelims of GPSC
• Mains of GPSC
- Booklist for GPSC preparation
- FAQs Regarding GPSC
About GPSC Examination
Goa Public Service Commission (GPSC) recruits for the vacancies in State Services
in Goa through the most prestigious exam, the GPSC examination. Further, GPSC releases notifications and applications to this examination every year for the recruitment of different posts in departments under the government of Goa. In other words, eligible candidates can apply online after the release of the notification. Also, the main purpose of this article is to provide complete information about the GPSC examination and guidance for the preparation.
To sum up, the candidates can prepare for the exam either through offline or online coaching classes.
Role of Coaching in GPSC Preparation
Coaching plays a vital role in the preparation for State Public Service Exams. Moreover, coaching helps you in the preparation and increases the chances of success. However, it completely depends on the applicant whether to choose it or not. Also, coaching reduces the workload of the candidate by providing what is exactly needed, thereby increasing the chances of success. Coaching also gives an overview of the examination pattern and changing dynamics. However, it should be noted that coaching cannot guarantee your success. But it provides an environment for overall development which is needed to crack any exam.
Reasons to join Online Coaching for GPSC – Online GPSC course
- Your time, Your Place: Offline GPSC coaching has a fixed timetable but online coaching is very flexible. Moreover, the candidate saves time from traveling between home and coaching.
- Rescheduling: The biggest advantage of online coaching is that no lecture will be missed because you can watch it anytime anywhere on your laptop or phone. In other words, online coaching is the best way to prepare especially if you are a working professional/college-going student or a homemaker. Also, you can watch the videos whenever you are free.
- Super Affordable Fees: Generally, the cost of coaching for GPSC exam preparation is approximately between Rs.50,000/- to Rs.75,000/-. But online coaching is inexpensive.
Why one should join Chahal Academy for GPSC preparation
Chahal Academy is a one-stop solution to all your queries in the field of Civil services because we have an expert faculty team. Also, we provide high-quality study material and candidates do not face any difficulty in collecting the same. Moreover, candidates can trust Chahal Academy for GPSC preparation as this academy provides facilities for the overall development of candidates through a learning environment.
- Firstly, more than 400 hours of the GPSC Foundation Course lectures are provided.
- Secondly, the course includes coverage of a Topic-wise Syllabus. Also, it is taught by the most trusted and senior faculty members of our academy. Moreover, the subject matter experts are supported by an up-to-date content team.
- On the other hand, you get personal attention in case of any difficulty.
- You can choose the desired time and place.
- Also, regular tests improve time management and accuracy.
- Most importantly, the videos of lectures are available 24 x 7. So, you can watch the videos according to your preference.
- Above all, the course is super inexpensive.
- Also, regular tests improve time management and accuracy.
- Most importantly, the video lectures are available 24 x 7. So, you can watch the videos according to your preference. Chahal Academy focuses on strengthening the base of the student.
Stages of Goa Public Service Commission Examination
The GPSC exam is divided into 3 stages - Prelims, Mains and Interview.
The Prelims stage consists of 2 papers. Firstly, the 2 papers are the General Studies and the General Aptitude papers. Secondly, both papers carry 200 marks and both are for 2 hours. Also, both papers are multiple-choice questions.
General Studies - Paper 1
Current Affairs of National/International importance:
- The dynamic portion of the syllabus is to be covered through Current Affairs.
- For current affairs, candidates must prepare for at least 12 months. In recent times, old current affairs have also being asked by the GPSC. Also, make sure to read about the facts and data related to the state of Goa.
History of India and Goa:
- General understanding of the subject with broad aspects of the history of Goa.
- Read the history of India and Goa and compare how things have changed in the present. You have to read with a critical bend of mind. Try to connect how the past has shaped the state of Goa today.
Geography of India and Goa: General geography and geographical division of Goa
- Read about the physical, social, and economic geography of the country. Also, read about the main features of the Indian agricultural system and natural resources.
- Read particular industries and their location. Subsequently, practice mapping work to point out important sites.
- Goa demographics and statistics
- Questions will test your knowledge of the country’s political system. You should read about Panchayati Raj, community development, and planning in India and Goa, etc.
Indian Movement and Contribution of Goa in it:
- Read about the nature and character of the nineteenth-century resurgence, growth of nationalism, and attainment of Independence with special reference to Goa.
General Aptitude - Paper 2
- Numerical problems
- Data Suffiency
- Analytical thinking
- Graphs and charts
The Mains exam consists of 6 papers. Moreover, all papers are explanatory and descriptive. Also, the first 2 papers are General English and General Hindi and each paper is of 100 marks each. Further, the remaining 4 papers are General Studies papers and these papers carry 150 marks each.
The overall mains exam paper is of 800 marks.
|Paper - 1
|Paper - 2
|Paper - 3
|Paper - 4
|Paper - 5
|Paper - 6
General English Paper
- Letter Writing
- Proverbs and idioms
- Sentence completion
- Precis Writing, etc.
- Short Notes/essays
- Letter Writing
- Hindi Grammar
- Precis Writing
- Sentence Completion
Last but not least, the Interview round is the final stage. The interview carries a total of 100 marks. Only those candidates who clear the mains exam are allowed to attempt the interview round. However, the marks scored in the mains plus the interview round decide the final rank of the candidate.
Services provided through the GPSC exam
List of jobs through GPSC
|1. Junior Scale officer for Goa State Civil Services
||6. Physicist in the State cadre
|2. Assistant prof. of Marathi in Goa govt. college
||7. Asst. professor in the State Services cadre
|3. Assistant Director post
||8. Junior consultant cadre
|4. Child development Project Officer
||9. Junior ENT surgeon cadre
|5. Physicist, Ayurvedic Physician
||10. District town planning officer
Eligibility Criteria – Important for GPSC preparation
The candidates must be a citizen of India to be able to sit for the GPSC exam.
The minimum age limit is 18 years for all the services. However, the maximum age limit depends on the basis of category. For the general category, it is 33 years. But for SC/ST it is 38 years and for OBC, it is 35 years.
For people with disabilities, SC/ST, and government servants, the extent of age relaxation is 5 years. However, for OBC it is 3 years.
- Working knowledge (Reading, writing, and understanding skills) of Konkani is mandatory.
- Moreover, all candidates should have a minimum degree qualification/ Bachelor’s degree of 3 years/ equivalent qualification to qualify for the exam.
How to Prepare for Goa Public Service commission
Prelims of GPSC
- Syllabus - Be thorough with the syllabus.
- Newspaper - You should read the newspaper daily. Because the newspaper will give you all the information on current affairs, international affairs and much more.
- Government Websites - Government websites will provide you 100% authentic information. Also, you should trust these authentic sites only.
- Keep your Booklist short - Firstly, you do not need every book in the world for the preparation. Secondly, pick the best books and keep it precise.
- Notes - Always keep your notes short and precise. Because notes will help you remember everything. Also, focus on the art and cultural aspects of Goa.
- Revision - Revision is the key as it will help you in the long run.
- Mock tests - You should always appear for multiple mock tests. Because it helps you to brush up your skills and knowledge. Also, it will prepare you for the final day.
Mains of GPSC
- Newspaper - Again, read the newspaper daily. Read about government policies, and also international affairs. You have to pay attention to facts about Goa as well.
- NCERTs - Read these books to form a strong background of the subjects.
- Government Websites - Supplement your studies with material from government websites like Policy Research Studies, Yojana, UPSC, etc. The material on these websites is 100% correct.
- Keep your Booklist short - Prepare a proper booklist for your preparation. Do not read every book that is available for a particular subject. Pick the best ones and revise those books again and again. Although you can supplement those reading. Follow the principle of Read minimum and Revise Maximum!
- Notes - Prepare comprehensive notes. It means that you must prepare Prelims and Mains notes together. This will help you to prepare for both the stages from an early stage.
- Mock tests - Practice lots of answer writing. You will be able to develop speed and answer writing skills.
- Revision is the key - The inevitable step is revision. Revise as much as you can. You will be way ahead in the competition.
For the last stage, you must sit for mock Interviews. Because it will help to experience you the Q and A round. So, brush up your skills with the mock Interviews and enhance your personality. Further, keep yourself updated with all the current issues related to Goa, India, and the world. As a civil services aspirant, you must be at least aware of the important events in and around the world.
Booklist for GPSC preparation
- History: Spectrum for Modern India and NCERT books for Ancient and Medieval India.
- Geography: NCERT books of class XI and XII along with the G.C Leong book. While studying Geography, you should always have Orient Blakswan Atlas to mark the place, mountains, and rivers on the Atlas.
- Indian Economy: Read Chahal Academy Economy booklet. Further, a large number of economy questions come from Current affairs also.
- General Science: NCERT books from 6th to 12th books, you can also read Tata McGraw Hill book.
- Environment: Chahal Academy Environment booklet or IGNOU material is more than enough.
- Polity: Go for M. Laxmikant. There is no substitute for this book.
- Goa Special: You can pick any book for Goa special preparation for state exams. The most reliable source which specifically talks about Goa will be the government websites on Goa's daily affairs like tourism, art, and culture as well as the official website of GPSC.
At last, you must have faith in yourself and prepare for this battle by working hard and smart by making a good strategy. This examination is not about how hard you have worked, rather it is about how smart you have worked. We wish you Good luck!! You can visit the official website
of GPSC for further details.
On an average, the prelims cut-off of the Goa Civil Services Exam are as follows -
- General Category cut off is 60%
- OBC Category cut off is 55%
- SC/ST Category cut off is 50%
FAQ'S regarding GPSC
1. Is there any age Relaxation for OBC?
A. Yes, there is 3 years of age relaxation for the OBC category.
1. What is the minimum age limit to apply for GPSC?
A. 18 years is the minimum age limit to apply for GPSC. However, the maximum age limit is different for every category.